Temple of Athena Nike

The Temple of Athena Nike, also known as Temple of Apteros Nike, is located on the south side of the Propylaea of the Acropolis. It is built in Ionic order and is the place where the statue of the goddess Athena Nike Aptera (wingless) had been kept. This temple was destroyed, first by the Persians in 480 BC it was redesigned possibly from Kallikratis and was rebuilt in 437 BC. In 1676 the temple was destroyed again by the Turks during the era of the Othoman empire. The Temple of Athena Nike was restored in its greater part by the Greek architect Nikolaos Balanos after the discovery of its materials by German archaeologists in 1836.