The Olympeion

The Olympeion, today is better known under the name Temple of Olympian Zeus. It was dedicated to Zeus and is located southeast of the Acropolis. Its construction by the tyrant Pisistratus of Athens in 515 BC and finally was completed in 129 AD by the Roman emperor Hadrian. Nowadays, only 15 from the original 104 columns of the temple remain standing. The last column collapsed from a stormy wind in 1852 and its broken pieces are visible until today.